If you ask anyone today what is the outstanding feature of Broughton they would almost certainly say its exceptional community spirit. It has a large number of very active societies and groups which cater for all ages and interests.
Broughton lies in the heart of the Hampshire countryside in England midway between the medieval cities of Salisbury to the west and Winchester to the east, and between the old market towns of Andover to the north and Romsey to the south.
The village has a population of approximately 1,000 across some 440 homes.
The attractive village of Broughton lies in the centre of the parish, which is mainly agricultural; the Wallop Brook flows through the village to join the River Test in the east, and the stream runs parallel to the main high street.
St. Mary's Church has architectural features dating from the C.11 and a dovecote in the churchyard reputedly given by Richard III. The Baptist Chapel (now a private residence) was founded in 1655, which is very early for a non-conformist church.
The history of the village goes back to early times. There is evidence that in the Anglo-Saxon period people lived in scattered homesteads in the area and that they took refuge in nearby Danebury Hill Fort when threatened by invaders. Later the Romans had a station, called Brigge, near here, about halfway along their road between the military bases at Winchester and Old Sarum, outside Salisbury.
When the Domesday Book was completed in 1086, the Manor of Broughton was owned by the Crown and the area has had associations with the Royal Family ever since. The population of the parish has remained at about 1,000 for the last 900 years, in spite of many casualties in European and World Wars.
Occupations have changed in recent years; up to the 1930s, agriculture was the main local employer, with supporting trades and crafts providing most of the other jobs. Today, the residents have a wide range of 21st century occupations and many travel to work in towns and cities both near and far. There are also some retired people, from commerce, trade, industry and the professions, including the armed forces.
In 1990, Broughton was very happy to twin with the picturesque medieval village of Sauve, near Nimes, in the south of France.
101 residents of Sauve visited Broughton for the signing of the Charter of Friendship and a slightly smaller number from the village made a return visit to Sauve.
There is a Broughton/Sauve Twinning Association which arranges visits and exchanges.