THE WELL HOUSE
The Well House is over 90 years old and can be found on the corner of Plough Gardens and the High Street.
It was given to the village in 1926 by J T Fripp Esq following the urgent need for a reliable water source as a result of the drought of 1921 and in memory of his son killed in France in 1915. The opening ceremony then was conducted by Sir Alfred Fripp, surgeon to King George V.
The Well House has served both as a source of water and a memorial and the inscriptions inside the structure best describe its history. Click each plaque below to view.
Well House Restoration
In 2002 a project was launched to restore the Well House which had fallen into a state of disrepair over the years.
The work included the removal of rusty grilling, the restoration of the oak and brick structure and the installation of a new windlass and bucket. Lighting has been installed that now lights the inside of the Well House and the well itself.
The project completed in 2003 and the well house was again reopened to the public in a ceremony in April 2003.
The ceremony was hosted by the Parish Council and the Well House was formally reopened by Lady Margaret Colville.
Peter Boulton, whose grandfather designed the Well House, gave due thanks for the restoration work and Ron Corne; St Mary's Rector gave the blessing.
The event was attended by a large number of residents and the Broughton Youth Orchestra provided the music for the occasion.